Monday, April 18, 2011

Shadow Puppet Animation

UPDATE: Now with 100% more BEER!
The Science Museum has decided to host this event at the Chatterbox Pub in St Paul!


I will be presenting a class about how to make a
Shadow Puppet Animation
at the Science Museum of Minnesota on May 4th, 2011
as part of their Making After Hours series.

"Making After Hours is a series of art, technology, and engineering workshops for adults (18+) that takes place once a month from February through August. The workshops include an introduction led by a guest artist, materials and technology you can use in your project, and a great atmosphere for "making" after work.

(some of the puppets I made for this project)

* Cost: $18 ($15 for Science Museum members)
* Reserve a seat now by calling (651) 221-4511

Jennifer Davis is a drawing and painting artist that has shown her work extensively in the Twin Cities, and most recently at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts/MAEP Gallery. Although not a shadow puppet artist, Jennifer's characters translate well into silhouettes, combined with stop motion animation, her narrative paintings come to life. Jennifer will give a brief presentation of her work then lead in the instruction of making character silhouettes. A Science Museum of Minnesota instructor will demonstrate the SAM animation software. All supplies for this workshop are included in admission price. Take home the puppets you make and a link to your downloadable movie."


Before I became involved in this project I had never made a "shadow puppet" much less an animation. The technology is really simple and intuitive and I had an absolute blast making my little cat movie. I think this class is going to be a lot of fun. Join me, won't you?

7 comments:

Jane Davies said...

WOW!!!! This is AMAZING! Thanks so much for posting this video. Hope the class goes well. I'm sure it will be packed!

Jennifer Davis Art said...

Thank you, Jane!
Yiiiiikes! I'll be so scared if it is packed!
I'm not much of a public speaker- but I'm sure this will go fine because I am soooo excited about the topic. So fun! xo- jd

renilde said...

hello Jennifer, I found your site and blog thanks to Animalarium. I love your wonderful delicate work, very beautiful. Renilde

Asia Ward said...

thanks Jennifer for presenting at Making After Hours, you did a great job and all the animations turned out wonderfully.

Jennifer Davis Art said...

Thank you, Renilde!

And thank you, Asia! I had such a good time with the entire project and class. Thank you for helping me try out something completely new! YAY!

Jennifer Davis Art said...

Thank you, Asia & SMM! I had a blast!

Studio EeLu said...

Lovely!!!